Friday, July 08, 2005

Smarts in the City?

Last week Jen & I were interviewed by Jess McCuan at Smart Money Magazine. Jess was great to talk with and captured the essence of SmartsCo. We feel especially privileged to be her last featured company before her move over to the Wall Street Journal! Congratulations Jess - I look forward to reading your future pieces - it's great to see talented people achieve success.

Apparently after reading this blog Jess thought to compare us to the "sassy ladies of HBO's 'Sex in the City'". Certainly it's quite the compliment, but I suppose we should dispel a few misconceptions this comparison might lead to.

Shoes
When I think of the HBO series, the element that most comes to mind are Carrie's shoe fetish. I don't think Jen has worn stilettos in her life and generally cruises around in jeans and Pumas. Now I do share Carrie's passion for shoes and often find myself painfully hobbling around S.F.'s hills in heels that make no sense whatsoever. But, being an entrepreneur has sadly diminished my ability to purchase the latest designer footwear (and we all doubt a newspaper could really support Carrie's penchant for Manolos).

Party Scene
One great part of writing about food, wine and sex is we get invited to all sorts of fun events. Unlike the NY-based "Sex in the City" gals, parties here in San Francisco tend to shut down by 11pm so everyone can get up in the morning to workout (especially since half the city seems to be training for a marathon or triathalon at any given moment) and enjoy the our georgeous surroundings. And I gotta tell you, I don't mind going home early. Love NY, but I gotta tell you, it can wear a girl out!

Other than that, are we (a) fun-loving, (b) a bit irreverent, and (c) somewhat whimsical? We try!