Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Enfuego!

Last Saturday I went to the San Francisco GenArt Ignite Party. Wow, was that quite the scene! I think all the beautiful people of SF were out and about, clad in their sassiest attire (in the words of one charming SF leacherous fellow said to my friend Darcy and I "you gals have a lot of competition here"). I say so did he!

While I'm not generally into the club scene, this party was awesome as most of it was outside at this huge lot near China Basin. The party started in a big warehouse in which they were screening some indy films from local filmmakers and displayed some cool multi-media art. After checking out the art inside we moved outside (during an unseasonably warm night) for a awesome performance by firedancers, which was a sort of belly dancing / Cirque du Soleil / modern dance thing with fire. Very cool. We got to watch the performance while sitting outside on comfy bean bag chairs while sipping on our favorite vodka drinks (vodka and cranberry was my choice of the evening). While not much of a spirits drinker, I generally try to steer clear of the wine served at these types of things as most (but certainly not all) of the time it's usually not of the finest quality. After the fire show, we cruised over to the Burning Man dome which they brought in as dance floor to get our groove on a bit.

My one complaint: they were handing out free cigarettes and everyone was smoking. Yeah I get it, "Ignite". At least we were outside. But even so, smoking kills. I just hope the cigarette sponsors paid the organization a lot of money!

Other than the smoking thing, way to go GenArt! SF is lucky to have such a great organization stepping it up all in support of art, film and fashion.