Tuesday, May 24, 2005

French Rosés

I just came back from drinking lots of wonderful rosé wines in the Coteaux Valois region of Provence. Did you know that Coteaux Valois is an AOC? I certainly didn't. The region only achieved AOC status in 1993 (and before than only made VDQS in 1985). It's a great region with I'd venture to say the best rosés I've ever tasted, at a fraction of the price of some of the better known neighbors (even with the horrific exchange rate they were very affordable).

Located east of the Rhône River this region is nestled in the foothills of the Alps between the appellations of Côtes de Provence to the east and Coteaux d’Aix en Provence to the west. Most producers create blends from the following AOC approved varieties: Syrah, Mourvèdre, Grenache, Cinsault, Carignan, the ancient Tibouren, and Cabernet Sauvignon, and the whites Rolle, Ugni Blanc, Clairette, and Sémillion.

My favorite wine there? Hands down must be Routas http://www.routas.com And that's not just because I stayed there - the wine is delightful, especially the rosé and the Voignier). Good news is you can easily get your hands on it here in the U.S.